NEW PATIENT SPECIAL
Full Health History
How a Chiropractor Can Help With Screening Your Children for Scoliosis
Scoliosis is an uncommon sideways curve in the spine that, if not caught at an early age, can deteriorate with age, cause significant back pain, and can then cause arthritis in the spine. We wish your youngsters to grow healthy and active, and that is why it’s vital to understand the signs of spinal curvature and check your children around age eight.
Checking Your Children
Checking your child’s spine for spinal curvature is possible to do at home, and at a scoliosis chiropractor. If you’re choosing the at-home methodology, complete the following:
- Have your kid bend over at the waist. Stand behind them and check the curvature of the spine. This test can be known as Adam’s test for scoliosis. Your child’s back should have a smooth curve. Also keep an on their rib cage on each side as they are bending forward. If you notice the rib cage bulging on one side more then on the other side, this should be a cause for concern.
- Next, look at your child’s spine while they are standing tall, and look for any of the following signs:
- Is one shoulder above the other? They must be level.
- Is one hip above the other? They must be level.
- Does the spine look straight or curved? If the spine is curving sideways this can be an issue.
If you believe that you are observing signs of spinal curvature in your child, we’d love to help with scoliosis treatment. It’s important to know that discovering scoliosis at a young age can prevent future lumbar spine pain, neck pain, and all around full spine pain. A chiropractor can also help teach your child good posture exercises, and back pain exercises.
Do not hesitate to find a chiropractor near you to help you understand scoliosis and to help screen your child.